● Location: West Uusimaa
● Population: 91 069 (2013)
● Language: Finnish 70 %, Swedish 30 %
● Main cities: Lohja, Raasepori, Hanko, Inkoo
● Main education hubs: Laurea University of Applied Sciences, Novia University of Applied Sciences, Axxell and LUKSIA vocational education hubs.
● Main tourist attractions: the archipelago in the South Coast of Finland, Fiskars Village, Mustio Manor, Tytyri Mine Museum and Amusement Park, Raseborg Castle ruins, Hanko and Tammisaari towns
ECONOMIC COMPETITIVENESS AND ADVANTAGES
● Close proximity to the Helsinki Metropolitan area
● Secure and attractive living areas, high living standard
● Bilingual, well-educated employees
● Excellent possibilities for business activities and leisure and recreational activities
● The region has a long and profound historical and also industrial character.
● Lots of activities and individual possibilities in beautiful environment, clean nature and even nice Cittaslow like towns and villages.
● South Coast of Finland with beautiful archipelago, nice small and old villages, slow food facilities, uninhabited clean nature all over
● Easy to access by all means of transportation
● Great logistical possibilities, southernmost port of Finland, especially for cargo units and bulk materials
MAIN BUSINESS AREAS AND CLUSTERS
● Logistic cluster, export and import: based on Hanko, Inkoo and Koverhar ports
● Consumer products: Fiskars, Helkama, IDO Bathroom, Orthex, Plastex, Delipap
● Wood and paper products: Sappi, Mondi, Metsä Wood and Mahogany
● Engineering industry: SBA Interior, Hyrles, Celsa Steel, Manner Castors, Levator, Lesjöfors, Saajos
● Construction industry: Cembrit, Nordkalk, Rudus, NMC Termonova
● Chemical industry: Forcit, ViskoTeepak, Genencor, Fermion
● Technology industry: Sisu, nLight, Valon Kone, Constructor Finland, SSAB Europe Lappohja, MLB Electronics, Selcast
● Flights: Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, which is in close approximity to West Uusimaa
● Maritime: weekly cargo lines from Hanko port to Germany (12), UK (2), Estonia (8), Belgium (3) and Poland (1). Bulk material transports Inkoo port. Koverhar Port activities under development.
● Train: train connection to Helsinki within 55 minutes from Raasepori and 1.5 hours from Hanko.
● By car: from Lohja to Helsinki 0.5 hours, from Raasepori to Helsinki 1 hour, from Hanko 1.5 hour.
YOUR LOCAL CONTACT POINT
● West Uusimaa Chamber of Commerce, CEO Eero Hettula
● Novago Business Development
● Center for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Center)
● Finnish Tourist Board MEK, South Coast of Finland